Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Gentle Herb

I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.  ~ Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Drinking a daily cup of tea will surely starve the apothecary.  ~ Chinese proverb

Writing is a job, a talent, but it's also the place to go in your head. It is the imaginary friend you drink your tea with in the afternoon.  ~ Ann Patchett

There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.  ~ Henry James

There is something in the nature of tea that leads us into a world of quiet contemplation of life.  ~ Lin Yutang

Who would then deny that when I am sipping tea in my tearoom I am swallowing the whole universe with it and that this very moment of my lifting the bowl to my lips is eternity itself transcending time and space?  ~ D. T. Suzuki

Some people will tell you there is a great deal of poetry and fine sentiment in a chest of tea.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Each cup of tea represents an imaginary voyage.  ~ Catherine Douzel

I am so fond of tea that I could write a whole dissertation on its virtues. It comforts and enlivens without the risks attendant on spirituous liquors. Gentle herb! Let the florid grape yield to thee. Thy soft influence is a more safe inspirer of social joy.  ~ James Boswell

Tea tempers the spirits and harmonizes the mind, dispels lassitude and relieves fatigue, awakens thought and prevents drowsiness, lightens or refreshes the body, and clears the perceptive faculties.  ~ Confucius

Tea is the elixir of life.  ~ Lao Tsu

Tea to the English is really a picnic indoors.  ~ Alice Walker

Tags: quotes, quotations on tea, meditation, life, pleasures